Fixing Wi-Fi on Alpine

2021-08-23 linux alpine networking

Note that this was definitely broken due to something I did. During the initial setup of Alpine, Wi-Fi worked fine, and everytime I use the boot USB for recovery etc, it works fine there as well. The fault definitely lies with me here.

I don't know since when this was a problem as I've just been using an Ethernet cable, but today I decided to fix wlan0 not working in my Alpine. Here is what I did:

  1. Try running setup-interfaces, notice that it's not even offered as an option

  2. Look into dmesg, find two problems

    1. Firstly, it was complaining about regulatory.db. Fixed with apk add wireless-regdb
    2. Secondly, it was complaining about missing iwlwifi firmware. Fixed as follows:
      1. Clone Linux's firmware
      2. cp linux-firmware/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode /lib/firmware/
  3. Reboot. Check dmesg, no issues. Can now run setup-interfaces

  4. Try running wpa_cli status, fails.

  5. After some googling, find I need to modify two files: /etc/network/interfaces

     iface wlan0 inet dhcp
     # added below line
     wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
     # added these 3 lines
     ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
  6. Add your user to the netdev group with adduser <username> netdev>

  7. Reboot, then run wpa_cli status, should be all good now

  8. Install wifish for a nice frontend